Christmas Is Good For You – Official
I don’t know about you but I’m fed up with the food police who keep saying how unhealthy Christmas is. Listen to them and we’d be eating nothing but pears and drinking bottled water. Before you start feeling guilty or decide that you’re having a wheat-free, dairy-free, fat-free, pleasure-free Christmas this year – don’t do it.
There are loads of good things to eat, but please do not plough your way through the 11,000 calories that can make up a traditional day’s eating.
You can help things along by eating plenty of luscious, fresh figs with loads of protective anti-oxidants and only a fraction of the sugar you would get from the dried ones.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised with my 20 reasons for enjoying Christmas
20 Healthy Reasons for not being a Scrooge this Christmas
1. Smoked salmon - a traditional starter, low in calories, rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and plenty of protein.
2. Roast Turkey - very low in fat, rich in protein and l-tryptophan which makes you sleepy, happy and relaxed.
3. Chocolate - modest amounts of dark chocolate provide heart protective anti oxidants and theobromine to make you feel loving and romantic.
4. Potatoes - for vitamin C, are only fattening fried or roasted in animal fat. Cook separately in olive oil and rosemary.
5. Dates - not sticky, sugar covered ones, but semi-dried for a good source of iron, fibre and fewer calories.
6. Brussels sprouts - half your daily need of folic acid and all your vitamin C in an average portion and cancer-protective chemicals.
7. Chestnuts - the only nuts with no fat, low in salt, rich in potassium and some vitamin E.
8. Carrots - are super-rich in beta-carotene, for a healthy skin, good vision and they reduce the risk of some cancers.
9. Stilton - there is fat, but it’s full of calcium; a fifth of your daily requirement in a modest portion; zinc, selenium, iodine and vitamin A.
10. Celery - you use more calories than you get from it and it helps reduce blood pressure, eliminates water and helps with gout or arthritis.
11. Peas - provide folic acid, B vitamins, vitamin E, zinc and iron which is just as well as it’s often the only vegetable that kids will eat.
12. Alcohol - a little of what you fancy does you good, a couple of glasses of red wine protect against heart disease.
13. Apples - Two apples a day really keep the doctor away. They’re a good source of vitamin C, help your body get rid of cholesterol and keeps your digestive system regular.
14. Mince pies - healthy with good quality mincemeat and pastry made with olive oil. Cinnamon is a good digestive aid and an anti-viral to ward off Christmas flu.
15. Christmas pudding - dried fruits provide potassium, beta-carotene and a reasonable amount of iron and fibre, the traditional addition of ginger, allspice and nutmeg all have powerful health giving properties.
16. Sage - stimulates the production of bile, which improves the digestion of fat.
17. Cranberry sauce - has vitamin C. and is an effective treatment for cystitis.
18. Walnuts - protect against heart disease and contain vitamin E. Best in their shells as like all nuts the fat can go rancid once shelled.
19. Tangerines - the traditional stocking filler children can peel at five in the morning and one contains half the vitamin C for a whole day.
20. Figs - there’s nothing as sensuous as finishing Christmas dinner with fresh figs. Potassium and other trace minerals and beta-carotene, and a traditional Middle Eastern aphrodisiac - not that you’ll have the energy by the end of Christmas Day.
There are also some excellent herbal remedies that help at this time of the year.
Fight the winter bugs with Kaloba, the natural extract of Pelargonium that deals with the symptoms of colds and flu. Fight the inevitable Xmas stress with Vitano, the only registered herbal medicine that contain extracts of Rhodiola and relieves the physical and psychological symptoms of stress.
Finally, if you have digestive problems during the festive season, try Thisilyn Turmeric Xtra, a mixture of turmeric and artichoke leaf, the best herbal remedies for digestive discomfort.
For more info see www.schwabepharma.co.uk
Some of my books...
- Superfoods, Superjuices, Superhealth
- Eat Well Live Longer
- Superfood Pocketbook
(100 Top Foods for Health)
- The Omega 3 Cookbook
Sign up for my e-mail newsletter:
"In this video, we will take you through a series of easy to follow and achievable steps. You too can safely and effectively lose weight as well as significantly increase energy levels".
MigraHerb® Feverfew capsules.
MigraHerb® is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the prevention of migraine headaches exclusively based upon long-standing use as a traditional remedy. Always read the label.
Lessens frequency and severity of migraine attacks
For people who have a doctor's diagnosis for this condition
MigraHerb® 30 one-a-day capsules.
» For more information visit www.migraherb.co.uk
De-stress and Energise!
Vitano® Rhodiola rosea tablets.
Vitano® is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of symptoms associated with stress, such as fatigue, exhaustion and mild anxiety, based on traditional use only. Always read the label.
Helps revive both mental and physical performance
Balances a hectic lifestyle... naturally!
Vitano® 30 tablets normally £13.27
NOW £10.60 - Save £2.67.
Multi-buy deal also available.
» For more information visit www.vitano.co.uk
NiteHerb® Valerian tablets.
NiteHerb® is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances due to symptoms of mild anxiety exclusively based on long-standing use as a traditional remedy. Always read the label.
A natural solution to a good night's sleep
Wake up revived - not groggy!
NiteHerb® 30 tablets normally £6.12
NOW £3.00 - Save £3.12.
Multi-buy deal also available.
» For more information visit www.niteherb.co.uk